For more than 30 years, high density polyethylene pipe’s unique characteristics have made it the product of choice for numerous applications in the mining industry. It is a proven product in rugged terrains, extreme climates, and changing site environments. Heat-fused joints create a monolithic structure that allows long lengths of pipe to be pulled from one area to another. HDPE pipe’s flexibility, abrasion resistance and leak-free joints have helped the product prove itself long-term in demanding environments.
Polyethylene pipe is the accepted standard for these mining applications:
- Solution Mining
- Heap Leaching
- Process Water
- Process Slurry
- Water Transportation
- Tailings Transportation
- Dust Suppression
- Mine Dewatering
- Pit Dewatering
When it comes to selecting pipe materials for mining applications, the two most important factors are security and reliability. The pipe must be rustproof, break-resistant and corrosion-free. It must safeguard the environment and protect the taxpayer. It must have a track record that professional engineers and installers respect.
If you want your pipe to meet and exceed those challenges, it must be HDPE pipe. Proven advantages of HDPE pipe for mining applications include:
- Chemical and Abrasion Resistance
- Low Cost
- Ease of Installation
- Pressure Surge Resistant
Chemical and Abrasion Resistance
- PE pipe has proven itself over and over again in the variety of mineral process, ranging from low ph acids to high ph caustic solutions.
- PE pipe has superb chemical resistance and is the material of choice in harsh chemical environments.
- PE pipe is also abrasion resistant and is well suited for the solids environment in mining applications.
Pressure Surge Resistant
- PE pipe for mining applications is semi-rigid to withstand high external loads as well as high internal pressure surges. Its flexible nature expands with pressure surges that increases the life of the pipeline and reduces maintenance costs.
- Polyethylene pipe installations are cost effective and have long term cost advantages due to its physical properties, leak-free joints and reduced maintenance costs.
- The polyethylene pipe industry estimates the service life for PE pipe to conservatively be 50-100 years. This generates savings in replacement costs for generations to come.
- In addition to the Life Cycle Capital Cost advantage of HDPE pipe, additional savings accrue to the owner because the “allowable water leakage” is zero rather than typical the leakage rates of 10% to 20% for PVC and Ductile Iron.
Ease of Installation
- The combination of flexibility and leak free joints allow for unique and cost effective types of installation methods that the rigid PVC and Ductile Iron pipes can’t use with bell and spigot connections. These alternate installation methods (Horizontal Directional Drilling, Pipe Bursting, Sliplining, Plow and Plant, Submerged or Floating Pipe, etc.) can save considerable time and money in most applications.
- Polyethylene pipe is produced in straight lengths up to 50 feet long and coiled in diameters up through 6-inch. Coiled lengths over 1,000 feet are available depending on size providing low cost installations.
- Polyethylene is about one-eighth the density of steel. It does not require the use of heavy lifting equipment for installation
Pipefusion provides polyethylene pipe, on-site fusion services, molded and fabricated fittings and custom fabrication to Mines across Canada.
Contact us today to Get a Quote.